Wednesday 5 February 2014

Dark Skin, Nappy Hair

My dark skin is beautiful
my nappy hair is styled with care
that is my view of natural features
blessed I am, to share

Time travel to another place
Kings and queens have a similar face

So why I am forced to face degrading images
skin-bleached relatives and mind-shackled people
who think that their dark skin, nappy hair
is something to be traded
that it is jaded

Confused thoughts
lead people to self hatred
not only for themselves
but for anyone wearing the darkening pigment

And why the confusion?

Because we of dark complexion
and finely curled hair
must be daft, be fool
be anything but intellectual and schooled

Don't you see how we have been fooled?..

Take a look
deep in the mirror
see what you uncover
beneath bewildered stares at your hair,
turnt up noses at your clothing

Beneath all the physical woes
see the King, the Queen
ready, waiting to claim the throne

No comments:

Post a Comment